Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blogging

This is my first entry in bloggerland. I must say that my motivation has been limited, mostly due to the fact that my job requires so much emotional energy that often times I would rather just get 'lost' in a frilly movie or sporting event. And as it is past 10 pm, I will pay for staying up this late to start an entry!

I have been working in criminal rehabilitative work since February of '06, first with boy and girl juvenile delinquents, and then with women prisoners. Quite frankly I have thoroughly enjoyed it! It feels so natural for me to hear the sometimes devastating stories of a person's life and try to help them reconcile what happened to them and to find hope and meaning for their lives. And this population adds a whole new dimension in the fact that often times my clients have done most heinous crimes! How can I sit across from someone who has taken the life of another human being, especially a child, and try to help them find peace?

And yet it is what I do, and somehow it is fulfilling to me to watch someone struggle with their humanity and the evilness they embraced and come to some reconciliation in their souls.

I have learned one very very important boundary that lets me do this work. I am not responsible in the least for what these women chose to do in their past nor in their future. All I am required to do is give my best effort to paint a picture of life and hope and pray that they will choose life! But the choice is entirely theirs! I come home at night and sleep well!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, too bad you aren't in California. I teach at a school with a criminal justice program. You'd make a great guest speaker!

Alice said...

Well, they could always pay the air fare! :)

Clay said...

Alice, awesome first blog! I look forward to reading more!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Taylor said...

As Adelaide would say, 'more more'.

Keep em coming, sista